Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Simple Truth #1

Tuesday was a lovely day at Sweet Mona's. The store was closed to customers but I, the chocolatier, was there in body, in mind, and in spirit.

When I first opened  five years ago my focus on the shop was outward. My energy was spent "wanting to be liked". I joined this, joined that, started this, started that, added this to the menu, added that. Let me tell you "wanting to be liked" has it's pitfalls, but it also has it's blessings. I think really most of us want to be liked. And to be liked I found that you have to be all to all different types of people--an impossible task even for someone as likable as me.

In February 2011 Sweet Mona's quietly celebrated five years in Langley. Each year I think about having a celebration/open house but I never do. I'm sure that this is fear based. Why am I sure? Because everything that  I want to do but don't do is usually fear based. So what keeps me from "celebrating" such a success? For me, it comes from the same perspective as I've noted above--"I want to be liked". This paragraph is an admission of one of my greatest fears... the fear of being disliked. This fear stops me in my tracks like a deer in headlights not knowing which way to turn, wanting to run, but knowing it doesn't help. So instead of moving forward, I stand there.... inside repeating the mantra I know so well.... "please like me, please like me, oh pretty please, like me.

In the last few months I've been re-focusing on Sweet Mona's from a different perspective. It's a focus that comes from within, from who I am at the deepest level. It's from the absolute truth of who I am. And of course I hope you like me and I hope you like Sweet Mona's. But if you don't, I'm sure that without a doubt you can find what you want, what you like, and even who you like somewhere else. I've finally realized I don't have to be every one's every thing. I just have to be me.

And that is one of the things that made Tuesday a lovely day at Sweet Mona's. The store was closed but I, the chocolatier, was there in body, mind, and spirit and I was doing what I do best.... creating, playing, and working with the person I like the most.......  me.

1 comment: